A Voice Crying

A Voice Crying
"Be Ye Separate Saith the Lord" 2 Corinthians 6:17

Saturday, October 28, 2017

Silence Is Golden

While this ancient expression is not scripture the sentiment can certainly be found in Proverbs 13:3

“He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.”

As a young man I was very good at keeping my mouth shut. I was ignorant of the world at large and knew it. The older I grow the more vocal I am. This outspoken vocalization has cost me dearly over the years. It’s extremely difficult for me to keep my mouth shut when I see injustice or hear lies. When I reflect upon my early years as a Christian I recall that people were more apt to entertain what I had to say because I was not quick to offer my viewpoint rather I was more reflective and introspective. I have often prayed Proverb 13:3 when I am disturbed about something but I admit that it is not a practice I have mastered.
My enthusiasm for the Gospel of Jesus Christ has sometimes been counter-productive for the Kingdom, at least from this mortal perspective. God in His amazing sovereignty can take our faults and failures and make triumphs from them. His word is unfailing. I must rest in His Sovereign grace.

There are many things that Christ said that are truly mysterious and sometimes very uncomfortable. The truth can be and often is painful. In this politically correct world of hyper-sensitivity Jesus is no doubt considered a bigot and racist by many though they may not verbalize this. Today's snowflakes would be running for their "safe spaces" if Jesus were publicly preaching today. He preached more about hell and punishment of the wicked than anything else. I’m surprised the SPLC has not listed Jesus Christ as a hater. Consider the following verse;

“Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.” Matthew 7:6

Our Lord equates certain people to “dogs” and others to “hogs”. The swine reference is equating people to the lowest perceived form of life on the planet, an unclean animal. Apparently, there are people who cannot accept the Gospel. My Arminian friends may have a difficult time with that statement but that’s OK. I don’t wear any theological labels. God is sovereign and can do as He pleases.

“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12

I have seen the power of God’s word melt people and I have been the recipient of this two edged sword on many occasions. The word of God can move mountains, heal the sick, free the demon possessed and literally transform the wicked into saints. I have seen it happen. Yet Christ spoke in parables for a reason.

“10And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 11He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. 12For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. 14And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 15For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. 16But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. 17For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.” Matthew 13:10-17

Some may suggest that this statement applies only to the apostles but I see this to be still in effect today. “For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed”. No other time in the history of this world can this statement be more true than this present age. Just look around you and witness the chaos, mayhem dissension and compromise that exists in and out of the church.

In Matthew 11:25 Jesus said, “At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.”

I have, on more than one occasion, cast the pearl of the Gospel at the feet of swine in defense of the innocent and for this I seek God’s forgiveness. I have learned that the Gospel can be my motivation for helping the innocent but it should not be a weapon to attack the guilty. I have shared the word of God with those who are hostile to it and they trampled it under foot and attacked me just as Christ stated. The word of God must be treated like a loaded weapon. Don't point it at anyone without intent to use it. And when you use it you better be prepared to defend why you used it. I Peter 3:15 If you are going to use the word of God you better know it well and how to use it lest you bring shame upon yourself. The same is true with a loaded gun. Sometimes it's just better to keep our mouth shut. Silence is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment